Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Bled

In the north of Slovenia, merged into the mountains of the Julian Alps lies the little town called Bled. It is just next to the glacial lake, which has a small island in the middle with a castle on top. Most surrounding hills are covered with forests, which invite people to hike and get lost in the seemingly endless nature. Wild bears, dears and elderly naked hiking couples still roam the area. Of which I have seen the later two.

I stayed in this lovely town for one week and hiked on about 5 days and partied in the Irish pub every night. It is a meeting place for ill behaving locals and drunk tourists who want to let loose in an atmosphere of a smelly toilet.
I took some fairly risky hikes that took me to the edges of cliffs and civilization. But the most memorable one is a touristy gorge north of down with a nice wooden walkway constantly switching sides. The water is as clear as possible and the nature mostly left to its own. A place that reminded me of Lanquin in Guatemala or the Kuang Si waterfalls in Laos.
I met a rather uninteresting Israeli women in one of the hostels and had to switch to another one in order to avoid her.
After that I was of to Venice. I decided that the best way to get there must be from the capitol city Ljubljana, but once I arrived there I had to learn that I have to take a train back to Bled and a bit further to catch a train that would take me to Gorizio, from where I could get all the way to Venezia Santa Lucia. When I got the news in Ljubljana that I lost 4 hours of my life I saw a fist fight in the open street between apparent good friends and ate a kebab.

No comments: