Saturday, September 17, 2011

Zagreb

From Budapest I took a bus to the border because I was convinced that it would be cheaper if I would split up the journey at the border. When I arrived I had to note that there was no bus to Zagreb and only one train a day. It was the same one I avoided in Budapest. After waiting 5 hours at a miserable train station I got into the train. Because the train lines were occasionally suspended we had to switch into a bus midway.
Zagreb is the capitol of Croatia and has a bit more than one million people. Trams go throughout the city and are easy to use. Supermarkets have many products including 2 liter plastic beer bottles. I found a nice place to stay and walked extensively throughout the city center and beyond. There is some nice architecture to be found and shady parks. Very civilized place.
At the border between Hungary and Croatia I was hassled by the border police because my Passport was ripped on the page of the picture. She let me through, but told me very clearly that she could have denied me access easily.
That's why I went to the Swiss embassy and got a new temporary Passport. It set me back 100 CHF, but it was worth it because in the old Passport there were only 4 out of 38 pages empty.
After 4 days of fooling around town I went on to Slovenia to kill some time because I had some spare time until I had to catch my flight from Venice to Frankfurt.

No comments: